Delicious & Easy
Harissa Chicken with Saffron & Date Herbed Rice
Make the Chicken:
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In a large ziplock bag add the chicken, harissa paste, rose water, turmeric, salt and black pepper. Close ziplock and mix well until chicken is coated.
3. In a large roasting pan, arrange chicken in single layer and drizzle with oil. Place on center oven rack and roast for 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 F and roast additional hour.
Make the Rice
1. In a small bowl, soak saffron threads in 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Set aside while cooking rice.
2. Warm the oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan; add the rice and stir to coat. Add the 2 1/4 cups of water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
3. Remove pot from heat and pour the saffron water over a quarter of the rice. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine dates, pine nuts, and parsley. Gently fold into rice, being careful not to over mix. There should be distinct yellow and white grains.
Make the Tahini Sauce
In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and stir well. Thin with more water or lemon juice or thickened with additional tahini, as needed.
Bring it all Together
Arrange the rice on a large serving platter, top with chicken pieces, and garnish with dried rose, if you like. Serve the tahini sauce on the side for drizzling.