Delicious & Easy
Joanne Sherif’s Sourdough Cornbread
1. Mix the sourdough, milk and flours and set aside on your counter for 1 to 2 hours.
In the meantime:
2. Preheat your oven to 350°.
3. Beat together the eggs, syrup/sugar, and butter. Add to the flour mixture, mixing to combine.
4. Add the baking powder and soda, mix to incorporate. (You should immediately notice the action of the baking powder and soda. The batter becomes full of air and fluffy. This is why she wants you to add it at the very end. Most recipes just add the baking powder and soda with the dry ingredients, but then you miss out on the immediacy of this reaction.)
5. Get your baking pan ready. You can use an 8- or 9-inch pan coated with bake spray or melted butter or vegetable oil (We just don't want the cornbread to stick!) Or use muffin liners and bake as muffins.
6. Pour mixture into pan or liners and bake for 35 to 45 minutes (25 to 35 minutes for muffins), or until you can stick a toothpick or butter knife in the middle and it comes out clean.