For those who don’t know, Veganuary is a movement that was started by a UK based nonprofit in 2014 and has since continued to inspire a growing number of people from over 190 countries to try a vegan lifestyle for 31 days. It’s the perfect time as many of us are ready to set healthy goals in a new year or practice cruelty-free or intentional eating without a long-term commitment. A record-breaking number of over 500,000 people have made the pledge in 2021 and grocery retailers like Aldi expect vegan food sales to double in the month of January as a direct result.
Some are motivated to join the trend for various reasons, but most notably for us, it simply sounds like fun. And not just for a month. Testimonies from past participants reveal a further commitment to retaining a vegan lifestyle, while others, like myself, look for opportunities to increase the number of plant-based meals in the everyday routine. (See the article about becoming a reducetarian by Erin Jackson linked below.)
If anything, it’s a time to discover that plant-based eating can be highly nutritious and incredibly delicious. So whether you’ve taken the pledge to eat meat-free this month or you’re looking for satisfying and healthy dishes to boost veggies in your diet, here are a dozen recipes to keep handy for Veganuary and beyond.
- A 10-minute Vegan Soba Noodle Salad perfect for lunch or dinner.
- This roasted beet sandwich might leave you committed to ditching lunchmeat forever.
- Sweet kimchi-spiced cucumbers and radishes are perfect for snacking or garnishing almost any meal.
- Dump everything in an Instant Pot for a savory Sweet Potato Poblano Burrito Bowl.
- Live your best brunch life with vegan lemon poppy seed pancakes.
- Banana bread chia pudding makes for easy batch prep and grab-and-go weekday breakfasts.
- Learn the basics of a vegan Mediterranean pasta salad and you’ll never go hungry.
- Find a substitute for honey in this recipe and you’ve got a pea-shoot and watermelon radish salad to dream about for spring.
- Our readers flock to this rustic Spanish stew with coconut milk and plantains. (Seriously, we’ve gotten messages and some of you are obsessed.)
- Good cheers are guaranteed with this sweet potato toast.
- Cook a creamy baked potato soup that will leave you craving for more.
- Thai-inspired mushroom stuffed sweet potatoes are satisfying enough to feed a firehouse.
- To placate your sweet tooth, let’s call it a baker’s dozen with oat and coconut cookies that you’ll want to snack on all day.
Do you love living a plant-based lifestyle? Tell us more about what you keep stocked in your kitchen or what you like to cook for a chance to be featured by Edible San Diego.